More Colo. Kids Accidentally Eating Medicinal Marijuana
Related Videos
Popular
Most Recent
Most Viewed

Description


A study compared incidents of marijuana ingestion by children before and after the modification of medicinal marijuana laws in 2009.

Transcript


(Image source: Wikimedia Commons )   BY JOHN O’CONNOR   Colorado parents will have to worry about more than just their teens using pot after a new study found an increasing number of young children are accidentally eating the drug.     “The study suggests the increased use of medical marijuana may lead to more young children getting sick from accidentally eating food made with the drug.” (via WIVB )     The study from the Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center in Denver compares incidents of marijuana ingestion by children before and after the modification of medicinal marijuana laws in 2009.     Researchers say … "The proportion of ingestion visits in patients younger than 12 years … that were related to marijuana exposure increased after September 30, 2009, from 0 of 790 to 14 of 588 … "     The Boston Globe notes Colorado had no laws requiring child-proof packaging for medicinal marijuana products during those years.     Edible marijuana products like cookies and candy, are not only especially enticing to children ... they can also cause serious problems.   “Eight of the 14 patients had consumed medical marijuana … seven of them had taken edibles … including two who were sent to the intensive care unit.” (via The Durango Herald )     The findings are especially important because medical marijuana products usually have higher levels of THC — the active chemical in marijuana — putting young children at an extra high risk.